Sunday, January 10, 2010

Introducing Gemma

Well, without further ado... here's Gemma!  She is the CUTEST little scrap of a Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) mixed with a bit of Border Collie.





I have no idea what to say about this girl yet as she is busy, focused and very people oriented- beyond what I have seen in a dog her age. And, she's my first full herding dog in this house so I have nothing to compare it to. She's stubborn, but sharp as a whip so she learns her lessons fast. She obviously wants to please; she is constantly looking for approval. And, she's trying her best to play with my dogs- although it's clear that she really isn't that dog focused persay. She doesn't live to play, like Sophie. She lives to work and make her people happy. She has bonded to me completely already and that's sweet. :)  And, she's learning to behave herself around my dogs; she was not socialized before she came here so she has a little catching up to do. But, she's a baby and she's adorable and my dogs are willing to teach her- especially Spike. He's working hard on teaching her not to jump at his face or on his back. And, to not steal his ball while playing in the yard. :P







I don't want to scare people away from Gemma- she is a bottomless pit of potential I think but she is busy and she is a working dog. She cannot live as a couch potato!  She, I suspect would be a fabulous flyball or agility dog, but I really wonder if flyball won't be her thing. She isn't too bothered about other dogs at this stage; she is focused on what she is asked to do and other dogs are really in the background for her. And, she is learning the basics already- tug, starting the turn, learning to get the ball. We'll see!






Gemma is an adventure to say the least and I have to say I am enjoying getting to know her! And, I am learning SOOO much about herding dogs from her, and about being a better trainer. It's all good. I can't wait to see where she ends up as I think she really is a gem of a dog.

No comments: