Monday, March 22, 2010

Training Time!

I know it seems that I never take my dogs anywhere out of the yard, but honestly I do... it's just that I never seem to remember my camera when I go. And, today we needed a play time, but I have to be honest that it really wasn't the most fun. I was working with Spike on some agility stuff and I had NO patience today. And, poor Sophie. We need to do Rally Obedience work but I haven't been disciplined lately. I want to, but the last two weeks of classes for the semester maybe aren't the time to be doing these things so I end up throwing a ball for her and that's about it.

So, I tried to video Spike working the weaves, but that was frustrating. I don't have enough hands to hold the camera, direct Spike and throw his reward (soccer ball of course!). And, he got frustrated in return and barked until I finally snapped and yelled. Poor boy. Even worse was when I accidently stepped on him as he was fixing to chase a ball. :(  All in all frustrating!

However, on an up note, Spike is almost perfectly solid on his weave entries, with me just about anywhere. He is getting it! I have been working just the entries to get it nice and solid. And, he did some great teeter work in class on Saturday; it's a tough piece of equipment and we haven't had that much time on it. He'll get it, I know he will!  Spike and I have been doing distance work in the yard; I have been asking him to take a jump from way back, and he's getting it mostly. I can see that he is understanding more and more what I am asking of him, but we still have moments where he's frustrated so he barks or he spins, in typical Border Collie fashion.  I am seeing more and more Border Collie in this dog, and it's interesting to watch his drive, determination and brains come out. It's good, very, very good.

Sophie on the other hand, poor baby, I feel like I am neglecting in the training department. We have been going to Rally O, and yet I haven't been working it at home. I am determined to get her outside, in the front today to work it, on a martingale collar, rather than her usual gentle leader. I need the challenge with heeling and so does she. I have great treats (beef heart cooked up by me), so she should be motivated. I'll feel much better about where we are at if I practice with her. I am still hoping to enter her in the Hub City Kennel Club's show end of April so I have to get working on it!  I have been feeling badly because while she has been moving much better lately, I have slacked off on her physio a bit. Not good!  And, I think she may have had a seizure the other night. One moment, she was standing on my bed, looking at me, the next she was falling, hitting her shoulder into a step stool. She got up and shook it off, but it's not like her at all to not get her paws out. These moments always make me sad and wonder what else can possibly happen with her. It's frustrating to know things are going on with her, but not have the tools to communicate and understand what she is feeling. I just keeping hanging in there with her, knowing that she still has quality of life and is happy, so for now, it's ok.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I DID manage to get a couple shots of the dogs in....


Spike, barking of course... it's all he seems to do lately! Not a great shot, but I thought it was pretty funny that he threw his head back just as I was clicking... haha.


He's a tired boy!



Barking, barking, barking. Seriously... it's his way of telling me "let's play more!"


This photo was a total accident, but it was funny nontheless. Soph was in a great down, and I went to shoot the photo, just as she started to crawl backwards, away from the ball she was fixating on... too funny, I had to include the photos!



"Maybe if I scooch away from it, she'll throw it again??"



Seriously, funny, funny girl!



Post play session, Sophie is tired. I always remind myself in these moments, a tired Sophie is a good Sophie!

No comments: