Friday, August 20, 2010

Doggy Biscuit Recipes!

As you all know, I am not a big fan of the petfood industry. I switched over to raw, after Spike got a yeast infection, right at the height of the pet food recall about 2 years ago. But, like all good dogs, my guys still love a good treat and I go through lots with the training.

At this point, the majority of treats I feed, I make myself. I do liver and heart treats (YUM YUM! Not so good smelling in the kitchen when cooking those, I have to admit!) and a very clever recipe called Fish Fudge, thanks to Dayna over at Life is Better With Sheltie Hair.

But, I've been asked lately what I do instead of Dog biscuits so I have decided to share a couple super easy recipes that my pups love...

First off, the basic recipe for biscuits you can customize

4 cups flour type product (whole wheat, cornmeal, bran, wheat germ, oatmeal).
1 egg
2 tbsp oil
1 1/3 cups of liquid (I usually use broth or water)
Add ins: cheese, veggies, herbs, nuts etc.  (I tend to make lots of cheese biscuies).

Combine your dry ingredients with optional ingredients. Stir in oil, egg, broth. Add enough liquid to make  a stiff dough.  Roll out 3/8"  and cut with a cookie cutter.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet, then back for 3-31/2 hours in 250 degree oven. They must be quite dry!

If your biscuits still have a bit of moisture in them, you need to keep them in the fridge for them to stay good, longer.

Liver Biscuits- (The FAV. around here!!)
1 1/2 pounds liver (I have used lamb, pork, beef, chicken)
about 3 1/2 cups flour (I usually use whole wheat)
3 cups water
1 cup wheat germ

Simmer liver in water until no longer pink in the center (about 10 minutes, depending on tthe size of the pieces of liver, whether it's frozen when you start,  etc). Remove from water, reserving the water and cut into small pieces (about an 1" or so).  Place liver in food processor and puree.  Add water to this, as necessary.  Stir in wheat germ and enough flour to create a stuff dough.
Roll to 3/8" thinkchness, cut into shapes and bake at 250, for 3-31/2 hours.

Basic biscuits 
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 egg
3 tbsp oil
2 tsps fresh parsley ( I tend to use dried and just guess how much to add)
3/4 cup chicken broth

Heat overn to 400.
Mix flour and cornmeal together. Add liquid ingredients and parsley. Mix to create a thick dough. Roll out, and cut into shapes. Bake for 15min.

**These are the ones I tend to make when in a rush. I have added cheese and other ingredients to this one, to dress it up more, but the quicker baking time can be nice sometimes! I suspect you can bake this one longer on a slower heat, but haven't really tried.

Anyway, from my pooches to yours, hope they enjoy the little treats!! I do these only when I have some extra time, but I know the dogs enjoy a little extra, every now and again.

No comments: