Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Flyball weekend

I played flyball last weekend with Spike. It was an amazing, crazy weekend, full of laughs, a little tooth pain (I hate dentists but have finally cracked and made an app't. My mouth still hurts), lots of speedy dogs and exciting titles won.

We had the privilege of watching a dog earn their 100,000 point title; a Jack Russell who clearly loves the sport. And, many other dogs ran well, scored lots of points and set personal bests.

As for Spike, he steadily improved the whole weekend to the point, he was consistently running under 5 seconds, as long as I got my passes right. When he was able to run a 2 foot pass (which I am getting more and more often!!), he was able to set a new personal best of 4.6 seconds. Very, very proud of that little dog.

And, Spike earned this...


It's a rosette, for earning his Flyball Dog Champion-Silver title (1000 points).  Not shabby, for the third tournament we've run in.  Last tournament I questioned why I was running flyball; Spike had a meltdown and wouldn't come out of his crate at one point. He was uncomfortable and nervous, but this tournie there was none of that; he was happy, strong, and ran like CRAZY!  

Anyway, Spike, post tournie... this is why I run flyball. A happy, tired dog!!




And, I just have to add this pic because it shows how skinny Spike has gotten! Not a great pic, but shows his new and improved dainty self. If you look closely, you can see ribs even. Yup, he's positively scrawny.




Ah, tired dogs are good dogs!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Congrats on the rosette, Spike! And on your svelte new physique!

Dexter said...

FLYBALL! Wow! you are lucky to have a flyball club near you. I can't find one anywhere around me. Great job on the award. Of course labradogs are really naturally quite good at those running and jumping sports.

Slobbers,
Mango

Ms. ~K said...

Sweet Dreams, Spike!