Saturday, December 31, 2011

Change is A Comin'

It's been a hectic month around here at the Black Dog Blog! School wrapped up for the holidays and none too soon.  As a junior high teacher, I understand when kids have had enough. And, they were clearly at enough the beginning of December.  So, we wrapped up and Spike and I headed to my parents for Christmas. Sophie and Murphy stayed with Rebecca at The Poop Guys, and Maggie went to another kennel.

Maggie has not moved home yet- she's still staying at my friend Joanne's place. I miss her terribly, but Maggie was used to being an only dog. She had some serious jealous issues going on- especially with Murphy. Her way of showing it- BARKING. All the time. Loudly. Until my neighbours complained to the town and I received a warning from the Bylaw Officer. So, in the interest of maintaining my sanity, my dogs happiness and Maggie's ability to be comfortable, she's staying where she is at for now.  I am not sure if she'll move back- she might, but only if I can find a humane way to control her barking. In the meantime, I'm taking an extended break from fostering- I need some time just with my crew.

Other than that, I've made some pretty serious decisions about my future and that's a good thing. You'll be learning about those over the next bit- just watch the blog as it changes and morphs into something new. ;)  Yes, it's a tease, but I will be sharing as I get things re-organized and re-vamped.  It's December 31st and I think it's time.

The first big change is the start of my Rattery. I've been in contact with another hobby breeder, here in the Saskatoon area and we've decided to become sister ratteries. This means we'll share a client list, share rats back and forth for breeding and basically help each other out. The first help is thanks to Rebecca, at Mat and Bec's Rats; she is making the trek to Winnipeg and will be bringing back a breeding pair for me. That means the start of my Blue/Silver lines... very exciting! So, stay tuned for litter announcements.

The second big change- I've decided to take a break from Grad School. I've burnt out and lost my drive to finish my thesis, so I just need to leave it for the moment. It's not a bad decision, in fact I believe it's the right decision right now. Rather than dropping out, I'm taking a medical leave for now- with my anxiety and depression diagnosis, I qualify for one and at this point, my anxiety is creeping back up so it's time.

Other than that, for now, I'll leave you with some newly revamped pages.... check them out! :) And, later today there will be pictures of what I've been up to (New Quilt, new projects!)

Happy New Year all!  Here's to a great 2012, full of changes that bring joy.

4 comments:

Sophie said...

So much always happens between your posts! Glad to see that you're thinking about everyone's best interests--including your own.

I'm super excited about the start of your rattery too. I hope to see lots of cute new rat photos - and the return of Ratty Wednesday? :)

Happy new year's eve!

Pamela said...

Sounds like you've made some big decisions to help you regroup. I hope the time with your own family of dogs is helpful to you.

Can't wait to see what you have to unveil.

Happy New Year!

Jean said...

Glad to hear you are making some decisions that look at your own needs and your dogs' needs first - sometimes a break from the other things we do is essential if we want to grow and change.

I'm curious about your decision to breed rats. Being acquainted with a number of the small animal rescues here, I know that there are many rats in rescue, and they are not easy to find homes for. I hope you don't mind my asking, but it seems a strange decision for someone involved in rescue. I'd like to hear more.

Achieve1dream said...

It sounds like 2012 is going to be a great year for you!! I can't wait to read more. :D